Friday, December 13, 2013

Coffee, coffee, coffee.. Your BulletProof coffee is full of holes!

Coffee, the nectar of the Gods as it has often been referred to, definitely has a place in my life.  I love it.

Yes, I realize some may think love is a strong word to use to describe my relationship with coffee, but  the thought of it can bring a smile to my face, it never lets me down, and it is always there for me.  So yes, I say love.

My relationship with coffee, or anything coffee flavored goes back to my childhood days.  I have fond memories of sharing coffee flavored ice cream with my mom.  Good times for sure.

Mom and I still share coffee although these days it is usually the drink, not usually the ice cream.

Those of you that know me know that I love coffee.  You guys also know that one of my missions in life is to bring the truth to light.  I dislike half-truths and deceptive marketing especially when it comes to exercise, nutrition, health, and healthy living.  Just. Can't. Deal.

Spreading these half truths makes it harder for all of us to reach our optimal health status.

So what's got me all wound up now?

Coffee.

Yes. Coffee.  My love.

Coffee is so much more than a smile in a cup, it has a laundry list of positive effects on our health as well.

When I say health benefits, I mean proven by science.  Cast all doubts aside.  No guessing. Just facts. Good for you.  Period.

Coffee consumption helps to lessen depression.
Pham N. Green tea and coffee consumption is inversely associated with depressive symptoms in a Japanese working population. Public Health Nutr. 2013 Mar 4:1-9



Drinking coffee is associated with decreased risk of all cause mortality.
Malerba S. Turati F. Galeone C. Pelucchi C. Verga F. A meta-analysis of prospective studies of coffee consumption and mortality for all causes, cancers and cardiovascular diseases. Eur J Epidemiol (2013) 28:527–539

I could go on and on, and most likely will at some point.. but not before I get to the actual point of this post.... the bull$hit that is Bulletproof Coffee.

There, I said it.  

I am tired of the BS that gets thrown around by the folks that have been duped into thinking that: 1. there is some magical 'non-toxic' coffee bean that one man has a special hook up with 2. that the rest of the world's coffee supply is fully of mold and toxins 3. that drinking butter and oil in your coffee is a good idea.

This is an excerpt from his website "Upgraded Coffee is the result of an obsessive pursuit to find the absolute highest performance coffee beans on earth. It's taken me more than 10 years to identify every step of performance-robbing toxin formation in coffee and to find a reliable, perfect source of beans that always make me feel great — even though "normal" coffee gives me a headache and jitters and makes me cranky. This coffee makes you feel noticeably better than anything else you'll find. You'll never go back to Starbucks again. These beans are meant for drinking black or best of all, for making Bulletproof Coffee with coconut oil. "

Really? Your coffee is so good you can drink it black ....or drown it in oil? Ummm, I'm sorry but that just seems kind of silly to me.  If it IS that good, I shouldn't have to add anything to it.

"Performance-robbing toxin formation"-- wow really an extraordinary claim there.

Ok, Mr. Special Guy.  Show me your science! 

What? You don't have any?  

Huh. Didn't think so.  

FYI folks, the very worst coffee in the world- which makes up maybe 20% of the supply may have very small amounts of molds in them.  You would need to drink coffee from almost a kilo (2.2pounds) of those beans to get ANY small amount of insult to your system.  

(**Keep in mind not all mold is 'bad'. What we have here is fear mongering-- nutritional terrorism as a good friend would say.  Heck you EAT mold- blue cheese!!!  Penicillin, one of the most widely used antibiotics, is derived from a fungus and has saved countless people from illness!)

Beyond the claim of his super special coffee is the claim that adding fat to our coffee will somehow make us leaner and even build muscle.  Hmmm... nice thought.  Got any science to back that?

Didn't think so.

MCTs (medium chain triglycerides) sound like a really great idea as far as energy production and glucose sparing goes- but unfortunately all things that sound good don't always pan out in the science.  MCTs are one of these things- just doesn't hold up in the studies. Soooooo, while it may sound good it just doesn't work that way.  

One thing it MAY do is send you running to the nearest restroom.  Have fun with that.  

Drives me nuts.  

C'mon people, you're smarter than that.  When people make extraordinary claims, they should have extraordinary evidence to prove their claims.  This guy does not.  Period.  He alludes to some studies that were done, yet provides no further information or links to them.  

...because he doesn't have any.  His science doesn't exist.

I could've guessed he didn't have much of a science background after reading his musings.  But the fact that he sells a bag of Glutathione really sealed the deal.  News flash- taking glutathione does not lead to increased levels of glutathione in your body.  So sorry folks, but you've been duped yet again.

Your welcome.  

Now it is time for me to finish my cup of coffee :)






2 comments: