Thursday, February 9, 2012

Lies about weight loss and the truth no one wants you to know

Ok, I have had enough.  Yes, I am at the end of my rope yet again. Probably for the same reasons I am every time.  Lies about weight loss (read:fat loss) and nutrition with respect to health.  I say fat loss because honestly, if you just wanted to lose weight you could cut your arm off and accomplish that, but I really don't think that is what you are aiming for.

We are inundated with lie after lie about why we are overweight, how fat loss works, the best way to lose fat (which is basically the same as keeping yourself from getting fat), who to seek for help, how long it will take and it is driving me NUTS!!! Why, why, why the lies?? Isn't it just easier to give people the right information..the TRUTH about how all of this works and let them decide if they want to reach their goals? Giving people misinformation that they will then follow to the letter (and fail with regard to fat loss) will only result in the eventual resignation of their attempts.  "I am destined to be fat" they think.  Trust me, I know how this works, and so do my clients.  One of my most successful clients who spent a good portion of her adulthood 90 pounds heavier than she is now is just as frustrated as I am. She spent years trying this and that and every diet around. Each and every 'plan' was failing. She wound up more frustrated than ever feeling that "maybe there was something genetically wrong with me."  She sees the plight of the overweight and pleads with them.."just try it THIS way.  This is how it REALLY works.  Trust me, I've been there and I have done it all."

"I have tried everything" is one common line I hear from people..and my answer is this..no you have not.  If you had indeed tried everything you would have learned the TRUTH about how this whole things works.  Let's stop the lies.  Here are some of the major offenders:

1. Calories in, Calories out -
2. To lose weight simply cut calories
3. Cut calories and exercise more
4. A calorie is a calorie is a calorie
5. High carbohydrate diet is the way to go
6. Too much protein will cause kidney damage
7. All carbohydrates are the same
8. All proteins are the same- and you don't need much anyway
9. Avoid fat at all cost
10. This pill/micronutrient will make you lose weight
11. Don't eat after 6 pm

I'm sure you have heard at least a few of these..heck, maybe some of you still think they are true.  I am here to let you know, unequivocally, they are NOT.  Want to know the real story?
Stick around, it is about to get interesting...

No comments:

Post a Comment