Thursday, June 14, 2012

Science please!!!

It has been quite some time since I have just gone on a rant..and lucky for you I'm feeling it today.  I do appreciate your patience as I have been blogging about my running and all kinds of other fun things, but really, let's get back to what started all of this.  Bull$hit.  Yes, that is what got me started ranting about things, and it is exactly what is bringing me back to you today.

I have had enough (again) of the bull$hit that people are saying, writing, posting and passing on as fact regarding nutrition and health (..and exercise, but we'll leave that for another day). Just because a reputable establishment posts a sign saying something- it does NOT mean it is fact.  I agree with you- it SHOULD be- or they shouldn't post it, unfortunately that is not always what happens.  It goes back to caveat emptor. Let the buyer (or in this case the reader) beware.  Yes, you should beware..and incase you are not let's call a few things out:

Don't eat after 6pm
     You will not die- or turn into a pumpkin -or anything else if you eat after 6pm. Is this 6pm eastern standard time or 6pm in Madrid? What if I woke up at 4:30 pm? What if I workout until 7pm? What if i will be awake until 3am?
Dumb. Period.

Drinking water before taking a shower will reduce your blood pressure
    I don't even know what to say to this as it is probably one of the craziest things I have ever heard.  Yes, staying optimally hydrated is a great idea for many reasons, but drinking a glass of water before you shower?????? I'm not even sure I could make up something like that!
Dumb. Period.

Drinking a glass of water before bed to avoid a stroke 
   Yeeeaaahhhh, what??? There is a study that looks at hypernatremia secondary to another condition POST stroke, but in NO WAY does it say that drinking water would have prevented the stroke.
Nevermind drinking it before bed. Again, I do agree that drinking water is great. But this statement is just plain dumb. Period.

Drives me nuts that statements like these- with no scientific basis- are promoted AND accepted by people.  Yet with reams of science supporting the safety and effectiveness of creatine it is still seen as the devil. *** Banging my head***

No comments:

Post a Comment